Dispatch From Phar Lepht

Musings, ramblings, rants, and raves from Phar Lepht, Texas by a tent show gypsy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Phar Lepht, Texas, United States

I am a bead and wirework jewelry artist living in the desert southwest trying to make a living with my art. Happily married for 30+ years to Cecil(also an artist) and have two sons, Noah and Nathan (who is Down's Syndrome).

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Ruidoso Aspenfest

Clouds hang low over the distant Sierra Blanca as the truck starts the long climb through the Hondo Valley and through Mescalero towards Ruidoso, New Mexico. It is the monsoon season in the Chihuahuan desert and Ponderosa pine islands that surround the Tularosa basin. The Sacramento mountains are the deep greens of juniper, pinons, pines and firs on one side of the basin and purple and blues spires of granite of the Organ mountains on the other. A long sliver of pure white of the gypsum sands ribbons the valley below as the little chevy pickup leaves the valley floor for the shades of green of the mountains to my right. 'Monsoon' is actually a misnomer for it is not the monsoons of India that one would think of, rather an afternoon shower each day, sometimes a downpour with pea-sized hail on rare occasions and then clearing in the evening. That is our 'monsoon' where the hurricanes and storms roll up from the Baja and bless the mountains with precious rain.

The oppressive heat of the desert gives way quickly to the crisp, cool mountain air and I roll down the window of my truck to take a hit, inhaling the piney wet soup. Ahhhhh!!! There is really nothing like mountain air to refresh the soul. As we pull into Ruidoso we soon notice the vintage cars and trucks that come to the village for the Aspenfest. The high school and locals put on a parade, chili cook-off and arts and crafts fair to celebrate the turning of the leaves. This year the leaves of the aspens and oaks that dot the base of Sierra Blanca are just turning sodden and dropping without the usual show. That's alrighty with me, it means the rain is abundant this year and the drought stressed ponderosas can fight off the pine beetle infestation that has been the bane lately in their long lives. I hope for good weather for the weekend and our show but I never curse the rain for I know how dear it is in my beloved forest.

Coming up on Thursday gives us time for defragging before set-up and a bit of porch sitting that evening, margaritas in hand kindly whipped up by our hostess Robyn. Friday morning we have time for a few errands and some visiting in town before we have to hoist the tent. I am determined to find the 20 gauge copper wire that has eluded me in Phar Lepht. Lowes doesn't have it, none of the big home supply stores have it and they look at me like I was from Jupiter when I ask about it. Here in Ruidoso is my favorite of all hardware stores, Village Hardware, where the men are downright friendly and the little place is crammed with cool tools, wildlife supplies for the garden and lots of wire! They have copper, brass and galvanized in all gauges, including the elusive 20 that I need for my copper rings and suncatchers. I buy three big rolls and am a happy camper (and I spent less than 6 bucks!)

Then we head downtown (that sounds so big in this little village peppered with galleries, gift shops and the like) to visit with Robyn in her new job at a leather goods store. Being a cowgirl at heart, I love the tooled and smooth leather goods, purses (bags!), belts, wallets...you name it. I especially love a zippered day book, whose three-ringed insides include a calendar, room for addresses and the all important lists I have to make to keep me on track. The cover is tooled in oak leaves and acorns and is a rich brown. It is a little 'pricey' for me even with Robyn's employee discount so I reluctantly leave it behind...besides, I have one that I use for all the shows but it doesn't compare to this little jewel.

The tent set-up goes smoothly. This whole show always goes smoothly and is well run by Bonnie and her troop of little gymnasts that use the vendor fees to fund the programs for the kids. Bonnie is all business, friendly business, and makes sure we are happy and in the place we want to be. Jan, my pard, and I have the same spot year after year as do many of the tent show gypsies that do the circuit. We meet and greet each other warmly, we are a tribe and see each other each weekend of the long show season...

Saturday starts out beautiful, the air is cool, almost cold, with the evenings rain and you can't beat free donuts and coffee for the vendors to start the day. The crowds are aplenty and Jan has a super day. I have a fair to middlin' day but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. It turned cold and rainy in the afternoon and we are glad to have our layers of clothing on. Sunday is gorgeous all day, with a few cloudy moments in the pristine skies above the branches of the pines that shelter us. I do better on Sunday which is unusual because Saturdays are consistently better in this business but not this time, not for me. One of the greatest benefits of doing these shows is the people you meet. The couple that moved here from back east, he from Ohio, her originally from Germany (makes me think of Anemone, my pal from the Black Forest) and their talk of the persistent elk that is eating the geraniums in their yard. Many folks have moved to Ruidoso from far and close and love the weather (no hurricanes, tornados, volcano's, earthquakes!), the beautiful scenery, and warm, friendly people in the village. Bartering is the order of the day for the tent show gypsies, (which makes me think of judih and the kibbutz in Israel.) I score some great stuff, pottery, a crocheted boa of multi-colors for myself, a soy candle, all gifts for my loved ones for the holidays and all for stuff I made myself. Cool!

Sunday evening, after packing up our display and tent, we head over to Weber's Grill for some good eats with Robyn (thanks for helping us break down!), Cactus Mary (she had a great time and made some new natural soap converts!) and a last goodbye before heading off into the darkening forest for home. After dropping Jan off at her house, I head home to my boys who are always glad to see me. Nathan greets me at the door with a big hug, Cecil with a big smack...I am home again, for a few days, until the next show and the road beckons...this time of year, I don't even bother to unpack the truck except for my clothes and stuff. This week will be spent in the studio with Cecil helping me make more adornments... it will be another busy week. Stay tuned...



Rain shrouded forest near Lake Bonito, Ruidoso, New Mexico. Photo: Cecil B. Lee, Fall 2001



1 Comments:

Blogger judih said...

sooZen! you're home.
The trip sounds wonderful. Lots of fresh air and marguarita details.

Glad you're safe and in the warm arms of home

love
judih
(bartering! the best way)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home